Thursday, April 07, 2005

G-Man Force to be reckoned with

The Astros had the Killer B's. Arizona has their own version of it. Call them the G-men, Gonzales, always a Cub killer has this year been joined by Glaus and Green. The G-Force combined in the series for a .364 clip with 12 hits (half of which were extra base), 9 rbi's and 11 runs.

Yea, I think they can top last year's win total of 51. If their pitching is anything to speak of, they will improve at least by 30 games, putting them even at 81-81.

Of course I may be overstating it a bit. After all, I seem to recall several occasions when the Cubs faced a kid in his first start in the Bigs and looked like Cy Young himself only to return to normalcy in his next start. So, take this with a grain of salt.

Anyone want to venture a guess as to what the ERA of Cub starting pitching is thus far?

10.12

And their WHIP? If my calculations are correct, it stands at 2.34.

I know, I know, it's only 3 games.

Still....

At least I didn't have to listen to any more stories about Ron Santo giving shots to his diabetic cat. Now don't get me wrong, I have nothing against cats nor am I insensitive about diabetes. My wife is diabetic and the first link I ever featured was This Old Cub, the movie that features Ron Santo's courageous struggle to overcome juvenile diabetes in his life.

But the cat stuff is kinda out there. That was Tuesday.

All day yesterday I kept hearing how the game time was was going to be altered for ESPN2. So naturally I assumed I would get to see the action. After the Braves outlasted the Marlins (13 innings!) I watched expectantly only to see the Dodgers/Giants game. What's with that? I live 3 hours from Wrigley Field and I have to endure two west coast teams?

Back to the Cubs. I did enjoy listening to Michael Barrett cracking that 3 run homer. It was the one time the Cubs did not choke in a run producing situation.

Nice going, MB.

No comments: